So remember when I was going to do this?
Well, I did.
(I need to start taking my pictures out on the back porch. The poor light in this room is inexcusable.)
The process was really very easy:
1. I boiled some water in a pot and threw in half a package of black Rit dye (I had half an envelope leftover from another project).
2. I pulled the lining of the dress up into the bodice (no need to dye this) and rubber-banded the waist. This kept the lining up, and also kept the bottom of the dress even so my dye-line would be somewhat level.
3. I dipped the dress in by hand, using a spoon to drizzle some dye upwards, and left it in where I wanted to start the color for about 30 seconds.
4. I lifted it up and held it a few inches higher for another two minutes or so.
5. I left the pot on the counter (on a towel of course) and hung the dress on the cabinet knobs and left it there for about a half hour.
6. Rinsed with cold water and hung to dry (be careful not to spill the dye on your white kitchen counter)
I can't wait to wear it this week! Hopefully the images will be better. I think I should take over the other bedroom for a photography studio, what do you think?